Saturday 6 November 2010

Feedback on Fridays lecture

The lecture on friday puzzled me. I didn't think I'd ever need to know that you could stretch a coin sized piece of twenty-five  carat gold over a mile. I kept listening though. I found it interesting when the topic of 'belonging' and 'where we came from' popped up. The lecture said she was from Kircudbright, a small fishing village on an estuary by the Solway coast; a car journey away from where I live. She then asked the two-hundred  students in the room  how many of us where from Dumfries and Galloway. Two of us raised our hands.
  
People always find it funny I come from there. They reckon its not a very inspirational place to live. Seemingly if you live in a village surrounded by trees, fields, and hills with the closest shop being five miles away; your a 'Sheep Shagger.' 

'So, Adam, you ever been to glasgow before?'

Moving to dundee and studying a creative subject has been amazing. I've felt exposed to so much more. How could i make things work better? How could I work better? Where am I getting my inspirations from? This isn't to say that I wasn't a creative person back in Nethermill. I still have infinite inspiration around me. Just as much as a person who lives in an urban environment. Just in different forms.

 I never been a particularly academic person yet I wasn't stupid. I think visually. When there isn't enough room in my head for ideas I write them on paper or draw them. I tell people what I'm thinking, then sometimes I get carried away. All in all  I like to think this is why design is a smart choice for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment